Re: [VHFcontesting] 222 activity nights

To: Chris Lumens <chris@lumensoutdoors.org>, vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] 222 activity nights
From: David Olean <k1whs@metrocast.net>
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2023 16:59:54 -0400
Hi Chris,

I can sympathize with your situation. I lived in an apartment in Dover NH almost downtown (Near  lower square) and tried to make contacts on 144 MHz. I had a 15 element HyGain yagi up 30 ft on a guyed mast along with a pair of 4CX250B tetrodes in PP.  I couldn't get out of New Hampshire with that QTH. (That antenna was a dog too)  I was behind a hill. One night the band opened up and I remember W1JSM working out into Michigan and Illinois. I managed to make it all the way to Long Island NY! It is frustrating. It was also not good when someone chopped down the mast late at night.  I spent the rest of my time there building FET receive converters for 50 through 432 MHz.  Still, I could work the locals and had a lot of fun doing that.  On 222 night, I typically can work a fellow in the Boston area with his ten watts and a quarter wave vertical. There is plenty of action near Boston and in southern NH, so you would definitely make easily 5-8 contacts on Tuesday. Maybe you should just run your rover setup in the driveway. The idea is to get on and make noise. More activity equals more fun.  I am positive that I can work you if you have a piece of salted spaghetti in your output center pin. If I can work you, that means Good Buddy Ron will be chomping at the bit to work you as well.  WZ1V seems to work everybody.

I guess you don't want to knock yourself out putting in a bunch of effort for little reward, but most folks who are on 222 MHz on Tuesdays have determined that it is a whole lot of fun and much better than watching videos or staring at your smart phone.  You could do much worse on a Tuesday nite.  I have  some sections of KTV tower that you can have for free. I think it is 70 or 80 ft. worth.  I looked on the "Hey Whats That" site and you are definitely blocked to the South. The good news is that the obstructions are not really bad. Beyond the blockage the land is not all that high.  The other good news is that you are good toward Europe!

Dave K1WHS