[VHFcontesting] K1DY 2m Sprint

To: VHF Contest Reflector <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] K1DY 2m Sprint
From: Bill Olson <callbill@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2023 17:25:49 +0000
Call: K1DY

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: FN54JQ
Operating Time (hrs): 2

Comments:

Well, since my 110ft tower blew down in the big "bomb cyclone" we had
just before Xmas, I've had to improvise. On 2 meters I just put my 8 element
rover antenna on a 15 ft mast and pointed it SW (through trees and a ridge I
normally see over). I can run outside and "Armstrong rotate" the
antenna. made 11 QSO's in 8 grids 5 QSO's were on SSB, 6 on FT-8, though I'm
pretty sure I
could have worked all the FT-8 stations on SSB or certainly CW. Best DX was
K1TEO in FN31 on sideband. Also worked WZ1V in FN31 at 288 miles, K1ZK in VT on
SSB at 203 miles and VE1SKY in FN74 at 193 miles, (went out and turned the beam
135 degrees for that one!) Had a near QSO with W2KV in FN20. We both heard each
other on CW but couldn't complete. That's a 408 mikle path. Not bad for an
antenna 15 feet off the ground! Thanks to CSVHF for sponsoring and to all who
got on. - bill, k1DY FN54JQ Maine (still snow on ground)