Re: [VHFcontesting] [NEWSVHF] 222 activity night

To: wz1v@sbcglobal.net, newsvhf@mailman.qth.net
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] [NEWSVHF] 222 activity night
From: David Olean <k1whs@metrocast.net>
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2023 09:46:25 -0400
Hi Good Buddy Ron and VHFers,

It sure was fun to be able to drive up to the shack and power things up, with the generator behaving well. The temps were moderate and the inside shack temp was 40 degrees when I got there. My only complaint was that it was a bit muddy up there with some snow banks around the shack.  My contact totals look a lot like yours with the exception that I missed WA1MBA and KA1SUN.  I have come to the conclusion that there is just too much rock and dirt between KA1SUN and myself. A few times I could tell that someone was calling but then they would disappear. Mt Geylock is right in the path between KA1SUN and me.  For most of the night, I was seeing tremendous QSB on signals and a cursory look at the K2DLL beacon in FN23 indicated that it was a bad night. The signal was about 10 dB or so out of the noise, and it had a distinct watery sound with multi path.  WA3EOQ noted tremendous QSB on signals from me, and I noted that he would only be audible for 10 or 15 seconds and then disappear. We worked, but it was extremely unstable.

Another tip off was when GBR  (Good Buddy Ron) told me that he saw me three times at once on FT8.  Thank goodness he did not try to work me three times. I only heard WZ1V on FT8. No other FT8 signals were detected when I was active after 01:30 UT.  I started out at about 23:40 and my first QSO was with Ellis, WA1RKS. The other contacts were those calls that WZ1V contacted plus VE3DS in FN03. Toronto is about 430 miles from me.  I also tried with VE3MIX in Toronto who is running 10 watts. We tried a slow speed CW sked, and I am pretty sure that I heard him at one point, but no contact was possible last night.   While working VE2XX, he told me that my signals were about as low as he had ever heard me. It was just that kind of night with wild swings either way for those signals coming in over the horizon.  I guess you could say it was a typical wintertime evening on VHF!  That being said, I did try with KO4YC near Richmond, VA. and had an interesting development there. I had asked for a sked but missed Cornell's response on the chat page. GBR told me that he heard KO4YC calling me on 222.125, so I went there ASAP, and did catch him and had a SSB QSO, but signals were weak. Then WA2LTM called him, and I could hear Doug very well on SSB. He is over 280 miles away and I was hearing him off the back of his antenna!  I broke in to let Doug know I could hear him, then Cornell just got really strong and was an honest S5 or S6 on SSB. We had a quick chat again on sideband!  The path is about 520 miles. This was a QSB peak that was really hot.  It is also the reason that you should never think that a long and difficult contact is not possible. The secret is to try a few short skeds and invest some time in hopes of catching such a QSB peak when all the atmospheric blobs align to focus that tropo scatter signal in your favor.

In other news, K2AEP told me that he ended up getting about 40" of snow dumped on him in that last snow storm and is still digging out! He sent an unbelievable picture to prove it! Wow!

All in all a great night and it was great to see all the action going on in the midwest and southeast playing out on the chat page. Pretty soon we will be in better conditions with meteors and some long haul tropo contacts. I can't wait!

73

Dave K1WHS