Re: [VHFcontesting] Count down to 222 Activity Night

To: "vhfcontesting@contesting.com" <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Count down to 222 Activity Night
From: David Olean <k1whs@metrocast.net>
Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2023 13:19:45 -0500
Hi 222 addicts

Don't forget to fire up your 222 MHz gear tonight. It is that time again, when everybody and anybody who has some 222 MHz gear will be cruisin' the band looking for contacts. I am currently in Apalachicola, FL. There is no way I can be QRV, but I am sure wishing I could. Apalachicola is in the Florida panhandle and is reputed to be the oyster capitol of the USA at least. From the smell around the docks, I would have to agree...Plus 17,000 seagulls can't  be wrong. I did a quick tropo check. From the looks of the Hepburn Map, I could work 900 to 1000 miles across the gulf to Brownsville, TX. Lots of tropo in the Gulf!!

The rest of the country looks pretty bleak for any extended DX, but don't let that stop you. 300 + mile contacts are quite common with rather simple gear. Action starts at about 00:00 UT and look for SSB, CW or FT8 activity. 222,100 and 222.174 MHz.  One of the best chat pages for the NE area is ON4KST Region 2 144/432. There are probably others as well in different areas. It is always a good choice to ask the experts in your area. Don't forget to set aside some time and make a few contacts if you can. Chat page is good for setting up a sked or two.

I should be back around the 21st of March and I hope that the snow is not too deep. I left Maine in a snow storm and missed another that dumped a foot of snow just after I left the State and showed my passport at the New Hampshire border.

Let everyone know how you did on Activity Night too. Lately, the activity levels have been on the upswing and Spring and warmer weather should accelerate the growth of 222 activity.

73

Dave K1WHS