[VHFcontesting] 222 Activity Night for December 13

To: "222 >> 222Activity@groups.io" <222Activity@groups.io>, "NEWSVHF@mailman.qth.net" <NEWSVHF@mailman.qth.net>, "vhfcontesting@contesting.com" <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] 222 Activity Night for December 13
From: David Olean <k1whs@metrocast.net>
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2022 09:58:18 -0500
Today is Tuesday and the Sun is out and even visible in Northern New England. Tonight is the time to dust off the code key, polish the grille on your microphone, and get on 222 MHz for some real ham radio.  The weather is rather brisk here in the Great White North. My plan is to drag up my laptop and fire up the gear on 222.100 around 00:00 UT or 7PM local time.  I had a problem last week with internet and was not on any chat page, but, with the help of WA1T, we got it running again. I will monitor ON4KST (Region 2 144/432MHz)  Chat page  and be banging away around 222.100 if all goes well.

We had some snow but it is not deep and I can still drive up to the VHF QTH. This past weekend, a few of the boys were here operating in the ARRL Ten Meter Contest and did pretty well. We worked quite a few VHFers over the weekend. A few that I heard were N1DPM, WB2VVV, AC1J, N1JEZ,  Good Buddy Ron WZ1V, K2DRH,  and even N2CEI at N4SVC in sunny Florida.  I didn't get to operate much as my CW skills are not good enough for how well the station works. We had many pileups all weekend and made over 2500 contacts. Ops were WA1T and K1BX. We used WA1T as our call.  I noted that the temperature in the 222 shack area was 20 degrees. There is no permanent heat in there.  The other room with ten and six meters was toasty warm. My 28 MHz amplifier also doubles as a room heater.  It actually got too warm! The 222 shack area has baseboard electric heat so is only on when the diesel is powered up.

We are expecting more snow around the weekend so my attendance on Tuesday nights is coming to a close.  If it gets over 10 inches deep, travel gets impossible up my road. The danger is in sliding off the road and getting wedged into a tree.  For now though things are on track for this evening!CU on 222

Dave K1WHS