Re: [VHFcontesting] Mt. Washington NH & Acadia National Park- Cadillac M

To: vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Mt. Washington NH & Acadia National Park- Cadillac Mount
From: "Mike VE9AA ve9aa@nbnet.nb.ca" <ve9aa@nbnet.nb.ca>
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2022 14:30:21 -0400 (EDT)

Hey Chris

Long time no hear. What I can offer is pretty old and anecdotal.
IMO, FN54 is not rare on 2m...there has always been 1-2 active ops there. Above 2m; not sure. To me, FN51 is quite rare. Took me a long long time to work it. Can't recall if I finally got it on 6 and 2 both, but one band. Was a guy in a contest sitting in his car I think. K1ZM has a house out there (I think) Jeff may know more about that area.

I have operated from Cadillac Mtn but it was in 1992 and only for an hour or so. I used 25w SSB (2m) and a funny looking horizontal collinear antenna much like a Hz dipole on a fiberglass stick on a Plymouth K-Car trunk. IIRC I was able to work as far south as PA with that rinky dink setup.(I may have switched to CW for the PA QSO)

I've been up Mt. Washington a few times and listened on the FM radio and I think kerchunked a few dozen FM repeaters with a 1w HT but no real operating. I bet it's fantastic on VHF SSB/CW.

I also bet both mountains have restrictions about operating at night !

The New England boys will be along soon and give you much more fresh and accurate into.

73 de Mike VE9AA FN66 next door in NB