Re: [VHFcontesting] 222 Activity Night

To: "NEWSVHF@mailman.qth.net" <newsvhf@mailman.qth.net>, "vhfcontesting@contesting.com" <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>, "222 >> 222Activity@groups.io" <222Activity@groups.io>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] 222 Activity Night
From: N1BUG <paul@n1bug.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2022 04:48:18 -0500
Well, conditions were as bad as they get. That's not too surprising considering the cold, breezy conditions with a cold front passing through. I worked only four stations.

W1AIM 279 km CW
W1GHZ 279 km CW
WZ1V 524 km CW
K1PXE 562 km CW

Interestingly, K1PXE was the strongest of the four at the time of the QSOs. Good job, Pete! I did later hear W1AIM louder on SSB.

I missed some that should have been really easy. What time do people start? Are many not getting on until later in the evening? I was there for 90 minutes starting at 0000z. Having not heard anyone new in over 45 minutes and fighting to keep my face from impacting the desk I pulled the plug at that point. I will try to stay on later next week but as I keep saying, evenings are VERY difficult even with my Tuesday schedule cleared out.

222.100 is not working out well for me. First off, it is very busy. Even I can tell that being way up here in the boonies. Second, I had problems with a birdie. 222.100 CW is fine if stations are exactly zero beat with me. Some were as much as 300 Hz high, and were getting beat up by a persistent birdie. It's not strong, maybe 6 dB above the noise floor, but when signals are weak and exactly zero beat with it, it's a problem.

I will investigate to see what is a really clear spot for me and try that next week. I do hope people will help spread the word about where I am hanging out, otherwise those who aren't watching ON4KST chat will never find me.

73,
Paul N1BUG
FN55mf