[VHFcontesting] 222 MHz Activity Night is this evening!

To: "222 >> 222Activity@groups.io" <222Activity@groups.io>, "NEWSVHF@mailman.qth.net" <NEWSVHF@mailman.qth.net>, "vhfcontesting@contesting.com" <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] 222 MHz Activity Night is this evening!
From: David Olean <k1whs@metrocast.net>
Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2022 16:27:53 -0500
I am actually doing work up on the hill, but unfortunately running the station is not really possible, as I have removed the delicate gear to avoid condensation issues and rust problems.  My work besides emptying out the shack of delicate gear was to do some maintenance on the big diesel generator.  Last Spring, I had a low coolant situation which got solved by adding straight water to the anti freeze mix.  I got to thinking that maybe I should check how well protected the solution was before winter really sets in. Good thing I did, as it was only good to about 10 below zero. Yikes. I added more anti freeze and now it is protected to -28 degrees F. The generator is pretty well made with good components etc, but some of the finer points seemed to get lost in the design. It is difficult to change the oil, as there is no room to fit anything substantial under the oil pan to catch the oil. (Duh!)   My solution was to get a manual dipstick oil pump for removing old oil.  I also need to flush the coolant system, as it looks pretty dirty at this point.  That is a problem as there is no running water on the site. I would have to lug water from down at the house.  Anyway, I was working on the diesel engine today and lamenting that I cannot get on the air this evening for the fantastic 222 Activity Night.  BTW, the only way I could get up there to remove gear with the truck, was to use 4WD and a set of tire chains! The road was all ice!

Last week's 222 night  was quite the success in the NE, and there was good activity in the Pacific NW and some activity as well in California.  I am counting the days until about the end of March, when I will be able to bring gear back and the weather is warm enough.  I hope the antenna holds together over the bad months of January, February, and March.  In the meantime, I will be updating equipment down in the shop for next year. I have my 2 x 16 el FO yagis all re furbished and tested. They show about 1.2:1 at 222 MHz and about 1.06:1 at just above 223 MHz, so they are both looking good. They will be side mounted on a tower in the Spring.

So don't forget to get active this evening and dust the cobwebs out of your 222 MHz gear. This is the time to make a few QSOs and check things out before the January VHF Contest too!

Good luck to all.

73

Dave K1WHS