[VHFcontesting] rover site in Reading PA probably unavailable

To: "packrats@mailman.qth.net" <packrats@mailman.qth.net>, "vhfcontesting@contesting.com" <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>, "tyler881@comcast.net" <tyler881@comcast.net>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] rover site in Reading PA probably unavailable
From: Pete K0BAK via VHFcontesting <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Jun 2021 22:57:49 +0000 (UTC)
To any rovers considering operating from a popular site overlooking Reading
Pennsylvania, at the stone fire tower at Mount Penn in FN20bi13:

Although I haven't checked recently in person, it is likely that this spot
popular with area VHF rovers will be unavailable. I noticed the parking lot was
locked with chains back in April, and earlier Tyler KM3G was disappointed in
January.

Being less than an hour away from my home and one of the highest accessible
spots between the Appalachians and the Atlantic coastal plain made it my #1 VHF
operating location for the past 6 years or so.

I have tried without success to find out when if ever this place will be open
again to the public. The furthest I got was a link to a "special event" form
from the City of Reading, meant for things like car and people races; even
getting that far was like questioning a hostile witness in court, no
information was volunteered.

I couldn't even find out whether the closure was related to Covid, or related
to the long-delayed repair of the tower, or just due to crime. So I can't even
guarantee that the site will still be closed this weekend, but that's what I
would bet.

The scenic pullovers on the west side of Skyline Drive were still available as
of April, but it's difficult to hear the rich set of VHF stations around Philly
and South Jersey from that side of the mountain ... but it's better than
nothing I guess.

Good luck in the contest everyone.

-- Pete K0BAK