Re: [VHFcontesting] JUNE/JULY VHF Contest Proposal and Operating Protoco

To: w3idt@comcast.net
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] JUNE/JULY VHF Contest Proposal and Operating Protocol
From: alex@kr1st.com
Date: Thu, 03 Jun 2021 13:44:53 -0400
A "short note" he says. :D

Things need to be kept simple, not be made more complex. You are not going to persuade people to change their behavior by adding bunch of levels of complexity to the rules. People operating the digital modes do this because, well, they like to operate digital modes. They will continue to do so, no matter how many points you throw at legacy modes. The assumption that people work the contest to score points may not be as valid as you think it is. Make rules more complex and you may even scare people off.

Separate contests for digital modes and traditional/legacy modes is a far better solution I think. It keeps things simple and that way folks can participate in what they are interested in, and operate how they see fit. The nice thing about separate contests is that you can quickly implement it (from a sponsor's perspective) and if it doesn't prove to be a popular solution, you can quickly revert back.

73,
--Alex KR1ST