Re: [VHFcontesting] Warmup Drift Of Ukranian , UT5JCW, 222 MHz Transvert

To: peter h <n6ze@aol.com>, "pnwvhfs@googlegroups.com" <pnwvhfs@googlegroups.com>, "vhfcontesting@contesting.com" <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>, "vhf@w6yx.stanford.edu" <vhf@w6yx.stanford.edu>, "wswss@mailman.qth.net" <wswss@mailman.qth.net>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Warmup Drift Of Ukranian , UT5JCW, 222 MHz Transverters & Possible Use With FT-8
From: David Olean <k1whs@metrocast.net>
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2021 11:43:22 -0400
You have to consider ambient temperature as well as the straight warmup drift. Any portable operation will make things worse as the transverter adjusts to a changing ambient temperature. I run into this all the time with a cold shack. I turn on the heat when and the room warms up along with the transverter. You also need to exercise the PA as it is the worst offender for crystal drift.

I would think you would be OK after 30 minutes, as drift is manageable but definitely noticeable.  I tried the same test with my rather old DEMI transverter built in a large diecast housing with a 20 watt hybrid PA on the opposite side of the chassis from the LO crystal. The drift was about 10 Hz per TX sequence on JT65. When you stopped transmitting, the crystal drifted upward during the receive cycle and would be 10-12 Hz higher the next time you transmitted. It worked OK but people could see the drift.  My solution was to install a styrofoam insulator around the crystal to slow down any heat transfer. Then I mounted a small 12 volt fan on the heatsink just above the heat generating hybrid amp. That really made a huge difference. Now my 222 transverter is very stable.  It wanders a few hz over many sequences, and people assume that I have a GPS standard when they see how stable it appears. All I did to figure things out was to transmit with the rig on the bench and monitor drift with a good counter.  I ran JT65 to get a realistic drift pattern. I compare it to my GPS standard, so it is very accurate and does not drift.  Of course, then the problem becomes one of maintaining the ambient temperature at a constant level. That variation will cause additional drift. When temps are cold, I run the transverter for an hour or so before the sked and try to heat up the room as well.

You could try a similar test with the Ukraine unit.

Dave K1WHS