Re: [VHFcontesting] Digital Modes (FT8) in January 2019 Contest

To: <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Digital Modes (FT8) in January 2019 Contest
From: "Chet S" <chetsubaccount@snet.net>
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2019 10:21:09 -0400
Looking back, we should not be surprised at FT8 popularity during the VHF
contests.

For me, the fun and satisfaction of VHF contesting had come from several
things.

One, pick an entry category and build a station to maximize the score. Need
both Q’s and mults on many bands. Shun highly directional antennas, put up
arrays with wide azimuth patterns. Dedicate 2nd antennas to known productive
directions. Build antenna switches, low noise preamps, sequencers, re-arrange
the op desk for ease of use, etc. Make tradeoff decisions. Ideas were never
ending.

Two, keep adding to my experience base. Read, research, listen, learn from the
OTers what they think. Know when tropo likely favored what direction at what
time of day. Make a band plan. When should I look for any aurora? Best time to
sleep? Include a list of announced plans of others.

Then, the contest: give your machine a whirl and see how it and you do.
Scenarios like “Hmm, the grid map says I am missing a number of grids up
north”. So, you now beam that way more often and eventually bag them. Very
satisfying! Ooh, look I finally worked that weak multiop 400 miles distant.
Ahhh…nice! Do a post mortem after the contest. Identify what to change before
the next one.

Repeat, repeat.

But then, many of the rules of the game changed.  It became OK to arrange
challenging contacts by phone, text, chat. So you’re missing a grid? No
problem, just call up Freddy and ask him to point your way in 5 minutes on
50.155. You got the grid, but was that fun and satisfying? Was the station
building worth it? As a non-ham would ask “Why use this radio equipment when
you could just call on your cellphone?” Developing contesters would lament why
they now needed to complicate thinks even more with another computer and cell
service active to arrange contacts by non radio means else they will not score
as well as those that use these. No choice anymore.

Then along came FT8. Through someone's own modest effort they can decode and
see for themselves who is out there within range. They can cast their line
(call CQ) and see who they can catch. Hey, for a newbie this is simple, this is
magical, and this is fun. Bravo!. Next time try another band? Better antenna?
Maybe this is the gateway mode to even more fun and satisfaction

Even the classic VHF contester can regain some interest by including the mode.
Hmm, maybe if I beamed up north on FT8 I could snag those missing grids and
reach even further…

73,
Chet, N8RA