Re: [VHFcontesting] Digital Modes (FT8) in January 2019 Contest

To: Zack Widup <w9sz.zack@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Digital Modes (FT8) in January 2019 Contest
From: Peter Laws <plaws0@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2019 09:17:58 -0500
On Thu, Jun 20, 2019 at 9:00 AM Zack Widup <w9sz.zack@gmail.com> wrote:

> If it gets to be that most stations are using FT8 and I don't want to fool
> with it, I may give up, probably much to the chagrin of people who want
> microwave QSO's. I guess we'll see what the future holds.

I wouldn't worry about it.  The bulk of mults on the lowest bands may
move to JT cheat modes but is that really going to happen above 23 cm?
 I don't operate there (I have 1296 capability but antennas are not in
the air) but I would guess that the regulars there will do like the
regulars there have been doing for years.

If you do decide to dabble in the Devil's mode, there are plenty of
low power options out there.  I'm sure it's only a matter of time
before someone either figures out how to run the JT modes on an
Android tablet or comes up with a RPi-based lightweight solution.