Re: [VHFcontesting] Rover Battery Questions

To: "vhfcontesting@contesting.com" <VHFcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Rover Battery Questions
From: Jay RM <w9rm@calmesapartners.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2018 10:19:02 -0700
Having dealt with a 'fleet' of vehicles over the years, I have a pretty
good handle on how long batteries should last, both in overall life and
when on trickle loads.  I would say (with no real science involved) that a
2 year old vehicle should NOT have any issues with a overnight dome light.
Of course, OEM automobile batteries are a commodity now and are likely no
way as good as they were 10 years ago.

Starting batteries are usually not rated for continuous load (Ah -
Amp/hour) but are rated in CCA - cold cranking amps.  I don't think there
is any real way to convert between the two - it's a apple/orange
situation.  But, 600 mA draw for the dome light, for 12 hours is only 7.2
Ah.  I think a typical 12V lead-acid (flooded or AGM) passenger vehicle is
capable of 30-45 A/h, which means the battery, in good condition, should be
able to handle the dome light for several days.  I have one vehicle with a
high quality aftermarket battery that is 9 years old which hits the 'won't
start' wall after about 2 weeks of no running.  Measured continuous drain
when sitting is approximately 100 mA or 2.4Ah/day, which is close to 34 A/h
- this with a 9 year old battery.

I would check the battery with a load tester or, at minimum, charge it all
the way and then measure the float voltage.  If you see any issue, I'd hit
the dealer up for a warranty replacement.  Any quality aftermarket battery
will have a full replacement warranty of at least 2-3-4 years and a
prorated value after that.  If your battery has not been abused, I think a
free or low cost replacement would be in order.

-W9RM

Keith J Morehouse
Managing Partner
Calmesa Partners G.P.