[VHFcontesting] : Favorite path analysis programs, and topo map questio

To: vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: [VHFcontesting] : Favorite path analysis programs, and topo map question
From: JamesDuffey <jamesduffey@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 5 Aug 2018 10:49:29 -0600
Patrick - I use Radio Mobile (online version) and have used Splat! .  I find
Radio Mobile most useful and have settled on it for my rover analyses.

I use it a bit differently than you want to use it. I identify potential useful
locations from which to rove and then do a link analysis from there to known
active stations. The SNR numbers that Radio Mobile comes up with don’t always
reflect reality in my experience, particularly in the dry southwest, so I use
them more as an indication of whether or not a path will work rather than as an
absolute indication of signal strengths. I seldom find that a 360 degree
coverage map is necessary as, at least out here, there are only stations to
work in a few specific directions.

In my experience, to evaluate a good rover site the critical parameter is the
angle to the horizon. Height is important, but the signal strength is quite
dependent on the scattering angle, 10dB per degree in some models, and the
scattering angle depends directly on the angle to the horizon. While a high
location can usually be counted on to reduce the angle to the horizon, often
only a modest increase in height will result in a significant increase in
signal strength. I have seen signal strength increases enough to take a signal
from barely being readable to good enough to make a QSO just by getting off the
interstate up on an overpass.

I realize that this doesn’t exactly answer your question, but I hope you find
it useful. Let us know if you find a solution to your problem. - Duffey KK6MC

James Duffey KK6MC
Cedar Crest NM