[VHFcontesting] Favorite path analysis programs, and topo map question

To: VHF Contesting <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] Favorite path analysis programs, and topo map question
From: Patrick Thomas <p-thomas@mindspring.com>
Date: Sat, 4 Aug 2018 10:36:28 -0400 (GMT-04:00)
Hi all,

I'm trying to find good rove spots (not so much today but in general), and
curious if anyone prefers splat, radiomobile, or something else, for doing topo
mapping and path analysis.

Related to this, I've been trying to figure out a tool to provide a topo map
with custom color gradients, rather than squinting at the topo lines in google
or other terrain maps, or ballparking the greyscale one provided by splat.  For
example, around here there are lots of rolling hills that are near 950-1000
feet, so unless you're above that height, you're likely not to be "in the
clear."  A few places are in the 1000-1100ft range but it's really hard to pick
them out visually.

It would be nice to have a greyscale gradient from say 500-1000ft, then a
really abrupt gradient (like weather radar colors, etc.) every 25 feet tick
above 1000.  But I can't find a tool to do this.  Anyone else have a solution?

Happy contesting to those participating in the distance contest!

Patrick
KB8DGC