Re: [VHFcontesting] FT8 and the ARRL June VHF Contest

To: VHF Contesting <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] FT8 and the ARRL June VHF Contest
From: RT Clay <rt_clay@bellsouth.net>
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2018 14:00:30 +0000 (UTC)
Keep in mind that if you are running 100 W and you are copying 1500 W stations
at -15 dB, there is little chance that you can work them since they have ~10 dB
more power. That was probably why K5QE couldn't hear you.

The same is true of course on CW/SSB, but in modes you copy by ear you often
pick up some subtle clues that the other station is high power (for example
propagation via backscatter can be recognized). One disadvantage of FT8 is that
you miss those clues...everything you know about the signal is reduced to a
single number.

Tor
N4OGW