Re: [VHFcontesting] Rover for June VHF

To: Jarred Jackson <Jarred.Jackson@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Rover for June VHF
From: Mark Spencer <mark@alignedsolutions.com>
Date: Sun, 6 May 2018 15:19:41 -0700
Jarred's comments seem to align with my experience.

I typically rove with a 1/4 wave whip for 50 MHz on the roof of my crew cab
truck.  (When I stop I setup tripod masts for the beams.)  I've never measured
the overall height of my truck with the 1/4 whip but expect it is approx 12
feet.   The whip is fairly thin at the top and has a shock spring at the bottom
so there hasn't been any real drama the few times I have hit low hanging
branches at low speeds.

For travel on back roads with lots of low hanging branches I take the whip down
if needed.  I drove more or less the whole way to the arctic circle and back
from CN89 (Vancouver) with the whip in place with no significant issues.  I
even made a few QSO's from out of the way grids along the way.

The experiences of others may differ from mine.

All the best

Mark S
VE7AFZ

mark@alignedsolutions.com