Re: [VHFcontesting] [VHF] What separates a decent transverter from an aw

To: "vhfcontesting@contesting.com" <VHFcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] [VHF] What separates a decent transverter from an awesome transverter?
From: Keith Morehouse <w9rm@calmesapartners.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2018 10:36:16 -0600
 In my opinion, the best VHF/UHF transverter is going to have a high dynamic
range (crunch-proof) front end combined with extraordinary receiver
sensitivity.  Depending on your design skill and the laws of physics, you
may have to trade off one to get the other.  All the other necessities like
stability, easy interface and clean TX signal and proper power output for
your application are easy.

The best transverter I've ever had was the Yaesu FTV-1000 on 6M.  It had
(still has) a superior receiver section.  However, it was designed to
interface directly with a specific IF radio, so it was a VERY expensive
solution for just a few people.

-W9RM

Keith J Morehouse
Managing Partner