Re: [VHFcontesting] WSJT-X and rovers

To: Terry Signature <terry@directivesystems.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] WSJT-X and rovers
From: Mark Spencer <mark@alignedsolutions.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2018 23:40:58 -0800
I'll just add that in my testing and operating I found myself sending messages
such as DE VE7AFZ/R R CN89

I would also receive messages such as VE7AFZ/R 73

I don't believe it is particularly helpful to not send both calls with each
message.  In particular I see this as potentially causing issues when running
FT8 on a busy band.

I also found myself receiving messages such as

VE7AFZ VE7XYZ  CN89

and

VE7AFZ VE7XYZ RRR

when my call was actually VE7AFZ/R which also seems odd to me and creates some
ambiguity (at least for me) as to what call the other station is recording in
their log.   Yes I realize the 73 message contains my call with a /R but if the
band is busy and or I have multiple callers how do I know for sure who sent it
?   (Yes I realize one can look at frequencies in the waterfall and make some
judgement calls, but this seem a bit complicated to me.)

I do realize one can still complete a QSO and log the calls correctly but the
overall process does seem potentially more confusing to me to when using a call
with "/R" than when using calls without "/R"

Thinking about this topic a bit more I could see this process working for a
coordinated QSO on a quiet frequency.  If I visit a remote grid where I don't
have Internet access, and where I am likely to have multiple callers I am much
less optimistic about the likely outcome.

I hope this helps explain my views re this matter.  To recap I enjoy using the
WSJT-x software, and appreciate the efforts of the developers.   I would also
encourage others to do their own testing and make their own decisions.  If
other rovers want to use WSJT-x I wish them much success.

73
Mark S
VE7AFZ

mark@alignedsolutions.com