Re: [VHFcontesting] Time for a Portable rig upgrade

To: Dan Evans <k9zf@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Time for a Portable rig upgrade
From: Terry Signature <terry@directivesystems.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2018 12:39:05 -0500
In the K8GP/R super rover, Andy and I use K3's. We have a nice operating desk and we use an Arduino controller to monitor both K3's for band data to switch transverters and ensure we don't blow something up! The K3 would be my first choice but then you need a bank of transverters and switching.

As an alternative, I got a IC9100 with the 1296 module in it. That give me 6 and 2 at 100w and 432 at 75w, enough that running an amp isn't necessary. For 222 and 902, I used another Arduino with software Andy wrote that watches the CI/V port on the IC9100. When I go to 26 or 27 MHz, the 222 transverter connected to Ant1 is select (my IF comes out 26=222 which also gives 223.5=27.5). When I go to 28 or 29 MHz, Ant 2 is select and it goes to a DEMI 902 transverter (28=902 and 29=903). The Arduino shield I designed has 20 turn pots for setting the ALC voltage to limit the power on these bands to drive the transverters properly. So with one radio and two transverters you cover the bottom 6 VHF bands. Yes, it's a bit more expensive but FT991A's are still new and I paid not much for the for IC9100 with 1296!

Terry - W8ZN