Re: [VHFcontesting] Thoughts on the Digital Modes and VHF Contesting

To: <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Thoughts on the Digital Modes and VHF Contesting
From: RT Clay <rt_clay@bellsouth.net>
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2018 14:54:38 +0000 (UTC)
The problem with FT8 as it is currently used is not just about speed of qsos
either- having ALL FT8 (or JT65) activity piled on one 2.7 KHz channel makes it
much harder to work weak signals. Because of that it is not necessarily true
that FT8 "makes the distant contacts and large number of multipliers much
easier."

For example, from here (EM53) when 6m is open to Europe, it is also open to the
east coast (single hop Es) with 599+++ signals. It has been much easier for me
to work Europe on CW in these conditions.

Tor
N4OGW