Re: [VHFcontesting] 6 and 2 meters

To: Michael Clarson <wv2zow@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] 6 and 2 meters
From: Dana <ve3ds@acanac.net>
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2017 22:41:01 -0500
I have a Tempo 6N2 here SN 50 bought it in 1980.
Yes it works on both bands, and yes there is some interaction
so tuning initially is tricky but once set up its fine.
Just follow the instructions.
The original had “specially cut” cables for each input … I suspect they
were 1/4 wave multiples…Henry had no info on this when I e mailed them..

I doubt it would work on both bands at once however….(never tried it)
but with separate output relays it works fine, with 1000 + watts out
on 6 or 2.
I don’t think it makes the modern FCC emission requirements, so you need
bandpass filters on each of 6 and 2 m to keep it clean, but otherwise
its an interesting design concept.

I also tried getting some mechanical details from henry but they lost the dwgs.

There was an neat deisgn in QEX about 2008 using a pair of 3cx800’s instead
of 8874’s … the layout and plate arrangement was identical!
Of course today you might just do the same with a single solid state device …

73 Dana VE3DS
FN03