Re: [VHFcontesting] Digital Questions

To: "vhfcontesting@contesting.com" <VHFcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Digital Questions
From: Keith Morehouse <w9rm@calmesapartners.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2017 08:28:24 -0600
I'm very concerned about where the VHF bands (mostly 6M) are heading.  The
wholesale adoption of JT65 & now FT8 WSJT modes has reduced SSB & CW
activity on 6M to near zero.  What this means from a contesting
perspective, something everybody reading this should have a stake in (this
IS a CONTESTING mail list), is people are trading off high run-rate modes
for much less efficient, albeit effective, digital modes.  This is not
pushing the art of contesting forward.  This phenomenon is limited to VHF
contests for the time being, as they are not mode-specific, but this
appears to be the first time in contesting history where many people accept
a step backwards in the ability to create score by using a much less
efficient run mode.

-W9RM

Keith J Morehouse
Managing Partner