Re: [VHFcontesting] The digital modes and the Sept contest

To: Alan Larson <wa6azp@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] The digital modes and the Sept contest
From: Jonesy W3DHJ via VHFcontesting <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2017 21:20:57 -0600 (MDT)
Cross-posted to rover@mailman.qth.net where it's more OT....

On Wed, 13 Sep 2017, Alan Larson wrote:

>Zack wrote:
>> My VHF operating is almost entirely portable. I like to go to local
>> hills (there are some around here!) I use a deep-cycle marine battery
>> as a power source. Except for very brief operations, running the
>> station and a computer from the battery runs it down too fast. So I
>> don't even bother taking a computer along. I log on paper and enter it
>> into the computer when I get home later.
>
>  I also do most of my VHF operating portable.  I have used battery
>power, but I find that the battery runs down too fast with just the
>radios.  As the voltage starts to sag, the IC-910 drops off (powers
>down) during transmit.  Even at reduced power, the battery life is
>limited.  When I use a computer, in such a situation, I ran it from
>its own battery.
>
>  Some have suggested solar power.  I have done it, and it feels nice to
>be using silent solar power, but even a 100 watt panel is only about 6
>amps of current.

See             https://w3dhj.net/images/2016_ARRL_SEP_VHF.jpg

It's just a Harbor Freight 45 watt solar package (3x 15 watt panels)
that I bolted to top and bottom aluminum box tubing (oxymoron?).
The roof rack cross rails are after market -- not the original Subaru.
There are hinges on both sides with removable hinge pins.  It's bog
simple to prop up when I get to an operating site, and bog simple to
latch down when I leave.

Yes, there is road noise.  We all have to suffer somewhat for our hobby.

I run rover with just that and the vehicle battery.  I operate an
IC-706: 6M 100W and 2M w/a 120W amp, and an antique IC-471 432/446 mcs
at some 70W.  During the daylight hours my battery rarely drops below 12
volts -- even during long runs when 6M opens.  I use an N8XJK 12 Volt
Boost Regulator set to hold my operating volts up at 13V for the IC-706
and IC-471.  The 2M amp runs straight off the battery posts.

Important issue was found to be independent 12 ga. wire from solar
charger to the battery posts, independent 12 ga. wire from the battery
posts to the N8XJK 12 Volt Boost Regulator (for the IC-706 and IC-471),
and independent 10 ga. wire from the battery posts to the 2M amp.
Don't skimp on that wiring.

After sunset, I operate until the battery drops to somewhere around 11V
and then start the engine (and usually mobile back home and go to bed.)

No computer, no cellphone charger, no APRS, no CW keyer, no voice keyer.
Old school: KISS, SSB and crusty CW

Way More at:
                https://w3dhj.net/vhfrover.php
73