Re: [VHFcontesting] September VHF contest

To: vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] September VHF contest
From: Alan Larson <wa6azp@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2017 00:44:54 -0700
W1ZV wrote:

> MO these are no longer Amateur Radio
> operating skill contests. They have evolved into Computer operating skill
> contests, where whoever has the fastest and most computers and monitors
> running
> and can type the fastest wins. Having to juggle between chat rooms and new
> digital modes vs. actually operating radio has gotten to the point of
being
> ridiculous.

  I agree.  The required skill has moved from radio operating skill to
computer operating skill.

  The next step in the computer based contesting is to have the computer
read the online announcements, tune the radio, turn the antenna, work the
stations, and enter them in the log.  It is simply a matter of programming
to integrate all these functions into a system that requires no human
intervention.  The skill to win becomes computer programming.

  Certainly most amateurs today are "appliance operators" with respect to
computers - they currently juggle many programs on their computer(s) to
contest.  But, if someone comes along who knows how to write the code, the
integrated system can become reality.  At that point, it will be "start the
contest and watch it run", or perhaps go sit by the pool with a cool drink.

  I enjoy hearing the weak signal, using my own experience to pull a weak
signal out of the headphones.

  I frequently operate fixed portable.  I am limited to the amount of
equipment I can fit in a VW Jetta, and I would rather take radios than
computers.

        Alan