Re: [VHFcontesting] FN55 - Transverter drive control?

To: newsvhf@mailman.qth.net, VHFcontesting <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] FN55 - Transverter drive control?
From: N1BUG <paul@n1bug.com>
Date: Sat, 4 Feb 2017 15:16:14 -0500
I have several replies already and I understand there are issues with using the ALC input as proposed. I am scratching that idea.

One responder gave me what looks like the solution. I didn't want to buy another high power attenuator due to cost and non-existent budget, but it looks like I don't have to.

I have a 250 watt, 50 ohm flange mount RF resistor. It looks like the shunt elements in a 40 dB attenuator are so close to 50 ohms that I can use this on the input side of a home made power attenuator. Perfect! A zero cost solution (that I should have though of myself). I just need to do some math to make sure dissipation in the series element is as low as I think (so that I don't under-build the thing).

Thanks everyone.

Onward...

73,
Paul