Re: [VHFcontesting] Ionosphere Scatter

To: VHF Contesting <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Ionosphere Scatter
From: Mark Spencer <mark@alignedsolutions.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2016 12:16:49 -0700
After reading thru some of the posted materials and links I'm wondering if the
the "JT" and related weak signal digital modes might provide enough of an
advantage to make iono scatter  viable on 50 MHz for a well equipped portable
station (similar to what Barry has) trying to communicate with a reasonably
well equipped home station.

The few times I've tried the JT modes on VHF and up I've been impressed with
their abilities to work with very weak signals.

I'll have to dust off the qro amp plans for my portable station (:

The reported peak peak in performance of this mode near local noon would be a
nice compliment for me to meteor scatter and tropo scatter that so far seems to
work best for me in the mornings.   The extra distance would be nice as well.

73
Mark S
VE7AFZ