Re: [VHFcontesting] Inexpensive 222 Yagi (Re: 222 Sprint

To: Peter Laws <plaws0@gmail.com>, VHF Contesting <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Inexpensive 222 Yagi (Re: 222 Sprint
From: N1BUG <paul@n1bug.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2016 15:29:16 -0400
Peter,

I would recommend a modern, optimized yagi but if that is out of the question you might find something older laying around. My first 222 yagi was a CushCraft model A220-11. It was 11 elements on a fairly short boom (8 feet?). I picked it up with one or two broken elements for $5 and nursed it back to health using spare parts from a junked 2 meter CushCraft yagi. Later I got a CushCraft 17 element 220 boomer (model 220B) which I extended to nearly twice its original length. I wouldn't call either an optimum design but I worked a lot with both of them.

Now I build antennas. I am about to start on a 16 element K1FO for 222 and either 22 oe 25 element for 432.

73,
Paul N1BUG FN55mf