Re: [VHFcontesting] Rover Mast height, an experiance in Los Angeles....

To: Rick R <rick1ds@hotmail.com>, vhf contesting <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>, VHF Reflector <vhf@w6yx.stanford.edu>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Rover Mast height, an experiance in Los Angeles....
From: Tim Marek via VHFcontesting <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2014 22:57:25 +0000 (UTC)
Something I learned while on the road in the outskirts of Los Angeles....
Rover Rule #7...  "Not All Gas Stations Are Created Equal", especially the
older ones from the 60s and 50s...
Back in the mid 2000s I cruised into a gas stop to fill up my Mazda B4000 4x4
which was covered in antennas... Loops on the right, and yagi's on the left, on
heavy wall masts bolted to a H frame in the front of the bed.
The tip of the fed of an original style KQ 2M Loop carefully dug a shallow
trench in the soft aluminum ceiling of the overhang above the pumps. I had to
deflate the tires a bit and slowly back out of the bay till the antennas were
free, pump up the tires, and got gas on the end line of pumps where the
overhang was not a issue....
The good news it the antenna was hurt at all... now had it been just 10
thousands taller it would have broke off rather than gouge the soft metal...
makes you go mmmmmmm to think of the odds to such things....
73s de Tim - K7XC - EM12ur...l sk Everything should be made as simple as
possible, but no simpler…Albert Einstein