[VHFcontesting] changed to Increasing VHF activity

To: Zack Widup <w9sz.zack@gmail.com>, VHF Contesting Reflector <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] changed to Increasing VHF activity
From: Dan Evans <k9zf@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2013 14:12:34 -0700 (PDT)
All very good ideas Zack.

I gave a Rover presentation at the local club a few years ago.  It was very
well received.  It was just different enough to get everyone's attention, I
guess.  Anyway, they requested I do a few more presentations afterwords.  I
done a general VHF contesting, and then another on the Indiana QSO Party.  I
even picked up a few contacts from locals in the next couple of contests, but I
didn't seem to get the "hook firmly set."

I remember my start.  After getting my ticket in 1992, I put up a 2m FM
antenna, and an antenna for 10 meters.  I made a few contacts on the repeaters
in the area, but quickly picked up the contesting bug on 10 meter SSB.  I was
still working on my general at that time.   Somewhere along in there I saw an
article about VHF contesting.  It was likely in QST, as I bought 25 years worth
of back issues right after getting my license (my XYL still complains about
it...).

Even after picking up the bug, it took me a few years to get a 2 meter all mode
rig.  But when I found a good deal on a used IC-271A, I was hooked.

The moral of this long winded story is this;  A few well written magazine
articles could also help to boost VHF Contest activity.  January is not a very
good contest to introduce rookies.  Around here, the bands are typically flat,
and participation is pretty low.  However, there is plenty of time to write a
few stories before the Spring Sprints and June VHF.  We have some very talented
writers on these lists, when is the last time you submitted an article to one
of the mags?  How about eHam.net?

You say you don't like the ARRL?  Submit one to CQ!  You say you don't like CQ?
 Submit one to QST!  You say you don't like either?  Then go away, you are
probably an old grouch anyway! hi hi...

What about SSB nets in your area?  Do you check in?  Is there one?  If not, why
not start one?

Not much of a writer anymore, but I do what I can;-)

73
Dan

--
K9ZF
Amateur Radio Emergency Service, Clark County Indiana. EM78el