[VHFcontesting] MSRX: A Meteorscatter Receiver for FSK441 and PSK2k

To: wsjtgroup@yahoogroups.com, "vhf@w6yx.stanford.edu" <vhf@w6yx.stanford.edu>, VHF Contesting Reflector <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] MSRX: A Meteorscatter Receiver for FSK441 and PSK2k
From: Les Rayburn <les@highnoonfilm.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2013 13:19:21 -0500
I'm interested to hear if other amateurs in the US have experimented with the MSRX sofware developed by Klaus von der Heide, DJ5HG. I first learned about the sofware in an article published in DUBUS magazine in the fourth quarter of 2012. That article outlined how the receive-only software could be ran side-by-side with WSJT to improve the ability to decode meteor scatter signals.

The article detailed V2 of the software, but I noticed today that Klaus has now released V3.4, presumeably with some of the improvements that were hinited at in the earlier article. I've only had a little chance to experiment with it, but I do know that one key feature is that this sofware displays an indicator of confidence that WSJT lacks. In my experience it also seems to decode short, weak pings a bit better than WSJT.

The sofware can be downloaded at:
http://www.dj5hg.de/digitalmodes/digitalmodes.html

No experience here yet with PSK2k, but I hope to try that on meteor scatter soon as well. I'd love to hear what others think about this software and comparisions of it's performance vs. WSJT.

Les Rayburn, N1LF
121 Mayfair Park
Maylene, AL 35114
EM63nf

6M VUCC #1712
AMSAT #38965
Grid Bandits #222
Southeastern VHF Society
Central States VHF Society Life Member
Six Club #2484

Active on 6 Meters thru 1296, 10GHz & Light