[VHFcontesting] 2m Sprints

To: "vhfcontesting@contesting.com" <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] 2m Sprints
From: Ellis Foley <wa1rks@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2013 19:31:00 -0700 (PDT)

Return Mail to wa1rks@yahoo.com
I missed the 1st hour, but made it for the rest of the time. It was eventful in
that there seemed to be a nice group participating. I'm in a new QTH of recent
time. moved here two years ago. and still getting things set up, a never ending
story. But one thing is definite ,the hills / Mountains on both sides of
me,take away a lot. 2k to the east less than a mile away, I'm on the other hill
at 1167 asl and the top is above 1800 asl above me. but still manage to get out
of the "Trench". Only had 15 qso's with 8 grids, Missed a lot Had a shot at
K8GP he was loud, but by the time I got antenna's around he was gone and never
heard from again. Another issue are "short" CQ's ? heard lots of guys call once
or twice and then get lost, 1/2 the time by the time I got the antenna around
on them, they left? whats the logic of short calls then leave. give a guy a
chance to swing his antenna around, and you might make more contacts in the
next contest.Don't hurt to
 throw out the grid in the CQ run also. lets people know where you are off the
bat so we don't have to waste time trying to figure out where to point the
beam/s. Learning curves, can't live without them, need to learn from them. But
I'm still a game player. The "Trench" nor "quick ops" will deter me from
participating !. and CW rules ! still bails me out on being the "weak" one. 73
happy contesting! see you in the 432 sprints. 222 in the works.
de Ellis
WA1RKS