Re: [VHFcontesting] Most wanted grids

To: "Mike (KA5CVH) Urich" <mike@ka5cvh.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Most wanted grids
From: Paul Decker <kg7hf@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2013 12:37:03 +0000 (UTC)
I'm not sure why an automatic purge would be needed, just use a simple LRU
algorithm like a cache would use and let the least requested grids fall into
oblivion.

I still think "most wanted" is based on region.  Most wanted grids for the NE
USA are probably different that most wanted grids for the SW USA or Canada, or
Europe, so some sort of correlation to the requester grid needs to be made so
that clustering can be done, i.e.  operators in grids around FN42 are
requesting FN52 (of which there is no land, completely in the Atlantic), while
operators clustered in and around grid DN17 are requesting DN28...

Paul

        ----- Original Message -----  From: Mike (KA5CVH) Urich
<mike@ka5cvh.com>  To: Paul Decker <kg7hf@comcast.net>  Cc: beamar
<beamar@aol.com>, (Radio) VHF Contesting <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>  Sent:
Wed, 21 Aug 2013 03:37:32 -0000 (UTC)  Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Most wanted
grids On Tue, Aug 20, 2013 at 7:14 PM, Paul Decker wrote:  > It is a great
idea.      > Instead of purging, simply keep a "Most Recently Requested" list,
never  > remove an entry, but have a voting scheme for the most wanted.
Mike asks       How can you have a voting scheme if you are keeping old data?
Without  some type of a time stamp filter wouldn't that sway the results?  And
if you are going to filter the data with a time stamp wouldn't an  automatic
purge of entries after a certain time period be equally as  beneficial?   I'm
asking because I am not a database person, much  beyond html & css I'm pretty
useless anymore.        I'm sure that EL84 just dropped significantly and would
not change if  those who ha
 d requested it didn't remove their request.    --   Mike Urich KA5CVH
http://ka5cvh.com       "Washington - Read the constitution ... not my emails"
PIO - D14 S/E - http://harriscountyares.org  APIC - D1 & D14 -
http://www.arrlstx.org   Life is hard, church shouldn't be!
http://fairmontpark.org