Re: [VHFcontesting] Quagi

To: "vhfcontesting@contesting.com" <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Quagi
From: jon jones <n0jk@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2013 21:36:32 +0000
Cal:

John, KF0M and I have used Quagis on 144, 220 (222) and 432 MHz. The original
design has been around over 40 years.
Quagis can be made for a fraction of the cost of new commercial yagis. If
reasonable care is used in constructon, they will yield the specified gain as
Quagis are forgiving of small errors in measuring, and they are rugged. I use
wooden dowel rods instead of pexiglass for the spreaders and PVC pipe for the
boom. Quagi gain has been measured repeatedly over the years on real world
antenna ranges at various VHF conferences such as Central States. The 8 element
Quagi usually comes in at 10 - 11 dBd real world gain over a dipole.

We used a variant called the "W5UN Quagi" which has 11 elements. The W5UN Quagi
has a gain of nearly 14 dBd. John  designed versions for 222 and 432 MHz. I
used the 222  and 432 W5UN Quagis in the 1988 June VHF contest operating
portable from Arkansas. I worked out over 350 miles with 10 watts and flat
conditions. The Quagis worked. Since moving to Lawrence, I currently use a
homebuilt 8 element Quagi on 432 MHz as it fits easily in a compact car to
operate portable. A picture of the 8 element 432 MHz Quagi in use during the
2012 ARRL UHF contest here:

http://www.arrl.org/soapbox/view/8393 Quagis, particularly the UHF and 1296 MHz
versions, are great for portable and Rover use. Link to N6NB's Quagi page here.
Wayne designed the original Quagi.
http://commfaculty.fullerton.edu/woverbeck/quagi.htm  - Jon N0JK