Re: [VHFcontesting] Yagi vs Moxon

To: "vhfcontesting@contesting.com" <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Yagi vs Moxon
From: jon jones <n0jk@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2013 09:14:25 +0000
The discussion of "Yagi vs Moxon" has been interesting, but has omitted the 2
element yagi.

The 2 element yagi has about the same forward gain as a Moxon at around 6.2 dBi
or 4 dBd. The F/B is less than a Moxon, it is forgiving of dimension errors,
feeds directly with 50 ohm coax and you can build one easily and cheap.

"No other antenna has a better relation between gain and expense than the
2-Element-Yagi. One element additional to the dipole will give you 4 dB gain.
Each additonal element will give more mechanical problems and the increase in
gain is only 1-2 dB for the same bandwidth. What says the ARRL Antenna-Book
about this antenna?  "The most bang for the buck!" - DK7ZB

The 2 el yagi is a great portable antenna for 6 meters. I keep one in my
compact car along with Radio Shack 5 foot masts. I can put it together and up
20 feet in under 10 minutes. Which brings up another point -- a dipole, Moxon,
or yagi will work much better up at least one wavelength on a mast than one
mounted on a truck bed mobile. A "pop up" 2, 3 or 5 el yagi on a 20 foot + mast
will let a fixed rover have a competitive contest signal. K7ULS uses a 6M5X on
a mast portable with good results.

 - Jon N0JK