Re: [VHFcontesting] K1WHS 222 sprint

To: "VHF Contesting Reflector" <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] K1WHS 222 sprint
From: "Dave Olean" <k1whs@metrocast.net>
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2013 10:26:16 -0400
Here is my story.
144 Sprint: Turn on the 144 MHz gear for the first time on the 144 Sprint. The 12 volt supply craps out and puts 23.6 volts into my K3, my DEMI transverter, sequencer, and Teletek solid state amplifier. Stuff really hit the fan that time. 222 MHz Sprint: At 2230 UT, I turned on the 222 gear for the first time this Spring. No 12 volts anywhere. Discover the 12 volt regulated supply (a different one) has no output. Find blown fuse. Replace fuse. 2nd fuse blows too. Went home and found some stuff to rewire a new power supply into the shack. I got on about 2330 UT and operated until about 0200 UT. This morning I turned on the laptop to check the distances for my 35 QSOs and find that the IBM laptop has died. It won't even beep at me. All I hear is a fan noise. So I don't have a log! I give up. I found conditions very poor with very high winds. At times the line noise was ramping up to about S7. No good DX heard. I worked only 14 grids with no local activity to my northeast at all. Missed FN33 FN44, FN54, FN53 etc. Many local grids were empty. Nothing worked past FM29 to the SW, and FN12 to the west. I spent a lot of time with the beam west too. Very discouraging. I finally got FN32 when KJ1K went back home around 10 PM. He was my only FN32 contact. I did find VE2JWH in FN35 though. Around 10PM I heard K1TEO working KO4YC. I had the antennas aimed right at KO4YC but heard nil at any time. Activity was either really bad, or my antenna is busted! End result... no log and no score! Winter can be harsh on an unheated shack. At this point I should probably skip the 432 Sprint to preserve what little sanity I am still clinging to.
73
Dave K1WHS

-----Original Message----- From: Zack Widup