[VHFcontesting] WR-75 "homebrew" coax transition

To: vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: [VHFcontesting] WR-75 "homebrew" coax transition
From: "Joshua M. Arritt" <jarritt@vt.edu>
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2013 09:41:55 -0400
Eating breakfast every morning this week with W1GHZ's antenna book (yes, for champions!).... working on a 10GHz antenna feed.

The junk box had a couple of old ChannelMaster Ku-Band DRO LNBs laying around -- from the popular 1m offset dishes. Found an article describing a mod on these units as an LNA for 10GHz amateur work. Neat stuff, but I'm more interested in simply stealing the waveguide and probe to make a coax transition good for 3cm. So I pulled the thing apart last night and removed most of the stuff (PSU board, IF board, the DRO and the RF board), cut the aluminum down with a hack saw and it looks like there's just enough room for a connector on the flat metal that's left.

I'm tempted to drill/tap the Al waveguide section at the probe, remove the probe from the old DRO LNB board, solder it to an SMA chassis connector and screw down tight.... what could possibly go wrong? ;)

Has anyone tried this? Any other piece of junk laying around possibly that would make a better transition for cheap? Does anyone prefer a different WR, say WR-90, for feeding one of those little 18" DSS reflectors? Seems when outfitted with a pyramidal horn, they both can feed dishes with an f/D nr 0.6-0.7.....

MNI TNX,

 - Josh / KF4YLM