[VHFcontesting] Internet Assistance

To: Dan <cowdungdan@frontier.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] Internet Assistance
From: Les Rayburn <les@highnoonfilm.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2013 17:11:16 -0600
I understand those who don't favor Internet assistance, but find that the attitudes are often shaped by
inexperience or misinformation.

For instance,there is no "robo-mode" that allows someone to complete digital contacts without operator involvement. There's also a fair measure of operating skill involved in FSK441, or the JT modes used for tropo and EME contacts. An experienced operator can recover data that a less skillful one will miss. Period. No different than CW or SSB.

Second, contacts on VHF/UHF are often prearranged or done by schedule. Most of the truly historic achievements in our history were done after a series of failed skeds that finally resulted in a breakthrough contact. Only if the operators are dishonest does knowing the time, frequency, and call sign of the other station provide an advantage. And that's been possible for years.

I enticed a lot of local operators to get on 222 at 3PM in the afternoon on Saturday to gain some points. I knew who would likely be there, their call signs, and which direction to point the beam. But I still had to work them. Under the rules, those contacts are valid because I arranged them before the contest period started. I still used e-mail to line them up---so I think the rule is silly and meaningless.

"Captive rovers" is another technique that's been used for years in contest. Legal within the rules, but if I use "Ping Jockey" to make a sked on the fly, somehow I'm cheating? Give me a break. Live in the real world with the rest of us.

Lastly, outside of the NE and other metro areas, most of us are all for anything that generates more contacts and less dead air. Allowing the use of Internet assistance would do that. The CQ VHF Contest last year proved that to my satisfaction.

At the end of the day, we're all on the honor system. You either worked them or you didn't. I attempted and failed at several contacts during the contest. In most cases, I recognized the operator and their call sign. Many of them won't be turning it a log--so I could easily "add" them to mine. But what would be the point? Who would I be cheating--myself most likely.

Each contest I compete only against myself--trying to best my previous high score. This is how I measure progress, and for many who operate in rural locations, or live under deed restrictions, that's the best we can hope for. Not to win, but only to improve. Each time I break one of my own high scores, it's a victory.

The FM Only category encouraged more hams to try VHF/UHF contesting, at least here in Alabama. I worked at least seven stations that had never been in a contest before. One of my contacts, a ham of over 20 years told me that I was his first ever 440 MHz contact! I'd call that a success!

Opinions vary, but I challenge anyone who holds those views strongly to operate a January contest in Alabama---and you might change your mind. The biggest challenge is sometimes fighting off boredom!

*Les Rayburn, N1LF*
EM63nf
121 Mayfair Park Maylene, AL 35114
6M VUCC #1712
Grid Pirates #222
Life Member Central States VHF

WPC4LF Popular Communications Monitor ID