[VHFcontesting] More About FM Contests

To: <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] More About FM Contests
From: "Todd Sprinkmann" <sprinkies@excel.net>
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2013 16:59:46 -0600
Roy AC9DN told the list about the Pittsburgh area FM Simplex contest. The zip code idea is interesting. What a hoot it would be to make zip codes the prize in SSB contests! You sure would hear a lot less, "I didn't bother working him, I have that grid square already." I admit to having a thinking problem, lol at myself. :) Back to the topic -- In WI, the Milwaukee Radio Amateurs Club has a popular, multi-band FM Simplex contest every February. This year it's on Feb. 10th, from 1:00-3:30pm. http://w9rh.org/fm_simplex_contest.htm or http://w9rh.org/documents/FM-Contest-Rules-2013.pdf This contest has been around for at least 10 years. I'm sure it's part of why SE WI and N ILL had a good FM turnout this past weekend -- there's already some familiarity. FM Simplex contests are popping up all over the country. I've read of others in IL, IN, OH, PA, NJ and ME. I'm sure there are many more. Ask around and see if there's one in your area. If not, do something about it. Could always slide a SSB portion or angle into it, too. Think about meeting the FM'ers halfway. :)
   Also think about having some sort of modest plaque/
trophy/certificates for those who compete.  Having some-
thing on your ham shack wall is a great reminder of the fun you had. Keeps the contesting idea in their heads. There was a nice article in the Jan 2010 QST about FM contests being a great training ground for VHF/UHF contes- ters. It was written by ARRL Contest Branch Manager KX9X. The article is on page 79 of the Jan, 2010 QST. Check it out, take it to your club meeting and try some- thing new in your area. Then follow up by making sure your club knows about the ARRL VHF/UHF Contests in January, June, August, and September. Plus the CQ WW VHF Contest in July, and the V/U Spring and Fall Sprints in April and October. Actually, I would think the Sprints might be the best time to "break-in" contesting rookies. It's a limited time commitment and only one band to worry about. Remember how your head was spinning the first time you played in a V/U contest? Hams want to know where and when the on-air activity is. Let them know, and they may stay interested.

   73,
   Todd   KC9BQA    EN63ao    40 N of Milwaukee
   www.kc9bqa.com  For Frequent VHF/UHF Updates
www.wivuch.com WI VHF/UHF County Hunters Award