Re: [VHFcontesting] The World Above 1 THz

To: vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] The World Above 1 THz
From: Steve Kavanagh <sjkavanagh1@yahoo.ca>
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2013 16:59:54 -0800 (PST)
Les

I am hoping to make one optical QSO with a rover this weekend, either with
laser-pointer/laser level based gear or my newer red LED equipment (see the
optical links at http://www.qsl.net/ve3sma/downloads2.html for more details).
Nobody else is visible from my home QTH.  VE3OIL and I have done 3.5 km or so
with the LED gear with no pointing challenges - just a couple of minutes to
make a morse code QSO, with no special operator training.  But others around
the world with fancier LED gear are making 100 km voice QSOs fairly regularly
now.

This is very much homebrew-from-scratch equipment.  The only fairly dx-capable
gear on the market I know of was the "Finningley" transceiver kit offered
recently in the UK ( http://www.earf.co.uk/nanotrx.htm ).

73,
Steve VE3SMA