Re: [VHFcontesting] September VHF QSO Party Results for N9LB - Wisconsin

To: vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] September VHF QSO Party Results for N9LB - Wisconsin
From: Bryan Leenheer <bryan.leenheer@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2011 17:39:19 -0400
Band Mode QSOs Pts Grd
144   USB   2       2     2
Total Both    2       2     2

Score: 4

Single Op, Portable, 1 band.

Rig is an Icom IC-290A.  Antenna is a "cheap yagi" sitting on a stepladder @
6 feet above ground level...

I'm certainly not bragging about my contest results here - 4 points is
nothing to brag about.  But I started in on this contest without knowing for
certain that the IC-290A even worked on SSB, so I'm pretty happy about the 2
contacts I did get.   I called CQ Contest for about 5.5 hours on Saturday;
heard a few more guys out there that I wasn't able to work, and learned a
lot for next June's contest.

Lesson 1:  Don't operate from my QTH.  I live in the glacial riverbed of the
Grand River, which has since the Ice Age shifted away to the north. This
means that just to my north is a ridge, and about 1/2 mile to my south is
another ridge.  A 6 foot mast isn't going to let my signal out any direction
other than to the east northeast, and west southwest - which are where my 2
contacts were from.

Lesson 2:  Work more bands.  I'm picking up a 70cm SSB rig in a couple weeks
- a KLM Echo 70cm for $75 - so I'll be able to take that out on a rove in
the springtime.  I'm sure it's not that awesome a rig, but it's cheap.  And
until I've managed to save up for that lovely IC-7000, cheap is the order of
the day...

Lesson 3:  Learn CW.  I heard several signals in CW, but as I don't know
enough code to answer, I wasn't able to work them.  :(

Lesson 4:  Work longer.  I didn't get started calling CQ on SSB until 3:00PM
local time because I was trying to play with my TH-D72 for APRS Day Out on
147.585 http://www.aprs.org/APRS-day-out.html for the first hour.  I heard
no packets at all for that event; probably because we didn't have any rovers
in hearing distance in Michigan.  I played radio until about 8:30PM local
time, when it was too dark outside to see what I was doing.  I wasn't able
to play radio (for the most part) on Sunday because it was my company picnic
at Michigan's Adventure - and I wasn't going to put my life at risk by not
taking my 13 year old coaster loving daughter to that.  I did set my HT to
beacon as a rover and listened to the 146.550MHz FM, but I didn't hear
anyone along my trip.

I worked N9UHF(EN52) and WZ8T(EN72).  Both of these were booming in.

Plans for June:  Get more radios.  I may be able to sweet talk my wife into
letting me get that IC-7000 for Christmas.  I'll be playing with the
Echo70cm a bit, maybe in the upcoming sprints.  I can build another cheap
yagi for that in an afternoon.  Get a portable mast/guying system.  There
are some lovely dune parks just off to my west, and I can literally walk
from my QTH to the next grid east of me, where there is a nice park with a
good hilltop to setup a portable rig on.  I figure I have decent hills to
work from for at least 3 grids in my county alone, and EN73 may have some
hilltops that are public as well, I just need to look.

I'm also interested in what you guys may offer as constructive criticism:
there isn't a whole lot of VHF activity other than the repeaters in West
Michigan, so I'm kinda stumbling along blind here...

Thanks!

Bryan (KD8LDX)