Re: [VHFcontesting] [VHF] Uploading VHF+ Logs from Multiple Grid Expedit

To: "Phil Wells, AF6AV" <af6av@philwells.net>, <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] [VHF] Uploading VHF+ Logs from Multiple Grid Expeditions...
From: "Marty Woll" <n6vi@socal.rr.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2011 10:58:14 -0800
Hi, Phil.

I understand your concern, but perhaps the problem can be simplified.  From
what I know, the conventional wisdom is to ignore designators such as /M and /P
for both the sender and the receiver of such calls.  Most contesters I know
ignore them when logging (in fact, most contesters don't send them in the first
place).  Casual contacts may be a different story, but that's probably not the
source of the greatest contact volume.  Likewise, it's probably better to
ignore /6 when you're already a 6.

The one designator I would leave in is /R for this reason:  Rovers are required
to send /R by contest rules, and that has to appear in their Cabrillo files
sent to the contest sponsors.  To avoid busted calls, that's also how the
stations on the other end must log them if they are planning to submit logs in
the contest.  Now when the other stations use those same Cabrillo logs as a
source for uploaded ADIF files, there are /R callsigns scattered throughout,
and LoTW users would not normally edit them all out.  You, as one of the /R
stations, can choose how you upload, since LoTW does not look to the ADIF file
for your own callsign but rather to the signing certificate. If you upload with
a /R certificate, I expect you'll get matches with the great majority of the
corresponding entries by the other ops.  As a precaution, you could re-submit
the same contest log file signed with your home callsign (no /R).  That's not
much extra  work on your part, assuming you have already broken out your
away-from-home logs by grid square (something I admittedly have still to do).

BTW, I know some advise to use separate six-character grid locators (I do, but
I'm anal about that sorth of thing), but that shouldn't be necessary IMHO
unless you're operating on the microwave bands. On the lower bands, DM12 is
DM12.  The only reason to go finer-grained that I can think of is if, say, part
of another grid is within your 200km award limit (VUCC Rule 6) and part is not.
 I'm in the same boat for some grid squares, and I haven't yet determined
whether it's easier to add location-based rules for my own VUCC or simply to
manually go in and uncheck those that are outside the permissable range.  I'll
deal with that once I get the rest of my home hand logs entered.

Thanks for getting out there and giving the contacts to the deserving!

73,

Marty N6VI