Re: [VHFcontesting] [VHF] Bill Moore's Objections to the "Stop-Gap Propo

To: "Bell Mark \(ST-VS/EAP2.2-US\)" <Mark.Bell@us.bosch.com>, "VHF Contesting List" <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>, "VHF List Non-Contest" <vhf@w6yx.stanford.edu>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] [VHF] Bill Moore's Objections to the "Stop-Gap Proposal" for VUCC/LoTW
From: "Les Rayburn" <les@highnoonfilm.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Aug 2010 12:28:13 -0500
Bill,

I like your suggestion.

Obviously, I wrote my reply in too big of a hurry. Card Checkers do not look
at print outs from LoTW, but I see no reason why they couldn't. As Bill
suggested, simply printing out the QSL record from LoTW would resolve that
issue.

Can they be faked? Certainly...but nothing is easier to fake than paper
cards. Many hams post pictures of QSL cards that they've received from rare
and semi-rare DX on the Internet all the time. It would be a simply manner
to capture these, modify them in Photoshop, and print them out on card
stock.

You might get caught claiming to have worked North Korea, but I imagine you
could sneak through almost anything else.

That's why the high level of security on the LoTW application has never made
sense. In the end, it's a hobby. If you cheat, you're only cheating
yourself.

Imagine this dinner conversation on a first date with a pretty girl-- "I'm
#1 on the DXCC Honor Roll" says the ham. "Yawn"- says the pretty lady.

Who really cares? All these awards are meaningful to us as hams, but having
security that exceeds that used for my online banking, investments, etc.
just makes no sense. It also makes it much more difficult to make changes to
the application in the future.

73,

Les N1LF