[VHFcontesting] Bill Moore's Objections to the "Stop-Gap Proposal" for V

To: "VHF Contesting List" <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>, "VHF List Non-Contest" <vhf@w6yx.stanford.edu>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] Bill Moore's Objections to the "Stop-Gap Proposal" for VUCC/LoTW
From: "Les Rayburn" <les@highnoonfilm.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Aug 2010 12:04:28 -0500
As Steve pointed out, Bill Moore's objection to allowing card checkers to
accept print outs of LoTW credits until such time as ARRL programmers can fully
implement VUCC into LoTW doesn't seem to hold water on a number of fronts;

I'll briefly cover why I think Bill is missing the point of the suggestion:

1.) Bill maintains that card checkers would lack the experience with LoTW to be
able to verify the print outs. I'm puzzled by this assertion, since by now most
card checkers have a lot of experience at checking "mixed submissions" for DXCC
credit, where a submitter is providing both LoTW print outs and paper cards for
verification.

I've checked with three card checkers in our area, and all of them feel that
this should not present a hardship for card checkers. The ability to "pull up"
the actual LoTW account is not intended to be the norm, but only to provide a
second check as a deterrent to cheating, and a means to resolve disputes.

In most cases, the card checker will be relying on the print out from LoTW
provided by the submitter, and a the list of grids worked.

2.) Mr. Moore also maintains that many LoTW entries do not contain the grid
location of the DX station. True enough, but it fails on it's own merits for
two reasons.

Number one: The VUCC rules in paragraph 7 recognize that many paper cards will
also lack grid information, and provides a remedy.

(b) For the convenience of the Awards Manager in checking cards, applicants may
indicate in pencil (pencil ONLY) the

grid locator on the address side of the cards that DO NOT clearly indicate the
grid locator. The applicant affirms that

he/she has accurately determined the proper location from the address
information given on the card by signing the

affirmation statement on the application.

Number two; This problem will continue even when VUCC is fully integrated into
LoTW. How does the league plan to determine the grid location for those
contacts? How will it address stations that have moved since submitting their
original logs, portable operations, and rovers?

Ultimately, I think we'll have to go with rule #7( b ) above. The submitter
will have to pencil in the grid square and log it on the application
form...just like we've been doing since 1996.

I won't characterize Bill's objections to the proposal, which seems to offer
immediate relief from the high costs associated with paper QSL chasing
associated with VUCC. But I will say that in light of these facts, I hope he
and other ARRL officials will avoid knee jerk reactions and objections to a
proposal that seems to offer the best solution to our current state of affairs.

I respectfully request that my Division Director and VHF Men who are ARRL
members contact their elected officials and the ARRL and request that we move
forward immediately to accept the proposal to allow LoTW printouts to be
accepted immediately.

73,

Les Rayburn, N1LF
EM63nf