Re: [VHFcontesting] Rover activity in 2010 June ARRL VHF QSO Party

To: Marshall Williams <k5qe@sabinenet.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Rover activity in 2010 June ARRL VHF QSO Party
From: Jerry <jer.sieg@shaw.ca>
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2010 14:30:32 -0600
Marshall.. /R Class 'whatever'.. I think they 'All Should be Issued a
Certificate for Participation'.. Listing the Grid Squares they Worked,
etc.!  That was a 'Lot of $' put out for everyones else's benefit.. !
Even put on it.. 'For Your #? Place Finish' ! Those Mag./Clubs that put
those contests on.. have more money than..well..us! And a Cheap
Photocopy of a Certificate.. and a $1 for postage.. seems like a
'slight'  "Thank You" for Participating..!
Sorry I missed you guys again this one..! 'Next One, eh !'
Jerry VE6CPP
DN39or

 ?

> [...]
>> years, several on this list declared was impossible without coordinated
>> roving. Well, seven of those scores appear to be done with no coordination
>> with other rovers. In the past it has also been said on this list that
>> Limited Rovers who did not engage in coordinated roving techniques such as
>> pack roving and grid circling could not be competitive with those that did
>> partake in those practices, even with lots of Es. This year's contest
>> clearly shows that is no longer the case. Limiting the bands to the lowest
>> four and the number of QSOs with rovers seems to have had its effect in the
>> Limited Rover category.
>>
>> The Southern California Contest Club coordinated rovers have the 6 top
>> claimed scores in the Classic Rover category and, with two other Southern
>> California Contest Club rovers who did not submit claimed scores, appear to
>> have the top 8 Rover spots nailed down. Coordinated roving is an effective
>> strategy for winning the club competition, especially when bolstered by even
>> modest fixed station contributed scores from other club members. I wonder
>> though, if the domination of the Classic Rover category by the Southern
>> California Contest Club pack rovers is driving some Classic Rovers to the
>> Limited Rover category to where they perceive that they can be more
>> competitive.
>>
>> With the 10 vehicle rover pack from Southern California well ensconced in
>> the VHF and UHF contests, and perhaps several more from around the country
>> whose similar activities do not rack up such large scores, and probably a
>> similar number of captive rovers who do not submit logs, it dawns on me that
>> this activity, which I lump under coordinated roving, has reached 15% or 20%
>> of the total rover activity in ARRL contests. When one thinks about it, this
>> is a relatively large number compared to the total number of rovers.
>> Political Scientists, for example, cite this number as what is generally
>> required to support significant social change. There are pluses and minuses
>> to this activity and many of the pros and cons have been discussed on this
>> list before, but the number of rovers who participate in coordinated roving
>> is becoming significant and the impact of their activities continues to
>> grow. As an example of one impact, It appears to me that one cannot
>> currently win a contest
>>
>  om
>
>>  petition in the medium category without at least a modest contribution from
>> coordinated roving.
>>
>> When one ponders it, having ten-10 band stations that can be deployed at 75
>> mph essentially anywhere within a 175 mile circle in any of several
>> categories, not just the rover categories, is a powerful tool. Those
>> stations will have a significant impact in a contest, even if their use is
>> restricted in the Rover categories.
>>
>> Some thoughts. I will update this assessment when the results are final. -

"Just because your voice reaches halfway around the world, doesn't mean you are
any wiser than when it reached only to the end of the bar."  ---Edward R. Murrow

ve6cpp@rac.ca