[VHFcontesting] "Secrets" of VHF contesting

To: vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: [VHFcontesting] "Secrets" of VHF contesting
From: James Duffey <JamesDuffey@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 2 Apr 2010 08:23:06 -0600
Jay - You wrote:

 "Should this say "Veteran VHF contester and QST's The World Above 50 MHz
 column editor Gene Zimmerman W3ZZ shares the secrets of successful VHF
Contesting FROM THE
 EAST COAST" ???'

 "<grin>"

Seriously, I hope Gene includes useful tips in his talk for maximizing one's
scores from areas with low VHF density, and not just tailor his talk to the
Potomac Valley folk. The lack of active VHF ops within normal working distance
is clearly the biggest impediment to higher VHF contesting activity out here in
NM, and I suspect in most of the country west of the 100th parallel. If there
is no Es, it is easy to work out the active contesters on all bands in an hour
or two. Then what do you do? Maybe Gene can give us some tips.

Using WSJT, MS, and EME is one way to get the multipliers up, and I hope that
Gene includes how best to effectively use these modes in a contest. Speaking of
which, I usually don't have much activity out here on Sprint nights, so I am
going to try some WSJT experiments. Is anyone else up for giving this a try,
perhaps to practice useful techniques for the June Contest?

I partially solved the lack of activity problem by becoming a rover and taking
my station to where the activity is, but that is clearly not an option for
everyone, and if there aren't any good openings one has spent a lot of gas
money on a few QSOs. When I roved down the west coast of Kansas in September, I
had problems working stations in the higher population areas in the eastern
part of the state not turning their beams west as they thought there would be
no activity there. One thing that helps is knowing where the rovers are and
using APRS on the net helps there, but only the multi stations can use APRS on
the net, and they usually have a pretty good idea of where the rovers are
anyway.

The PVRC webinars that I have listened to have been good, I suspect that this
one will be no different.  Duffey
--
James Duffey KK6MC
DM65tc