Re: [VHFcontesting] (VHF Contesting) - how about we get back to having f

To: Jeff Thomas <wa4zko@yahoo.com>, Steve Clifford <k4gun.r@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] (VHF Contesting) - how about we get back to having fun?
From: John Geiger <aa5jg@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Jan 2010 08:57:52 -0800 (PST)
I believe that much of this recent discussion by some of those on this list
(and I am trying to not be disagreeable) is a case of cutting off your nose to
spite your face.  We admittedly have some who loath grid circling.  I don't.  I
see nothing wrong with it, and neither does the ARRL (whose opinion is the one
who matters) but I have a hard time believing this alturism which is currently
springing up-we don't use the band (in an acceptable way) so lets get rid of it
to allow it to be used for better purposes, that what amateurs do.  I think the
core of the argument still lies in the individuals' hatred of grid circling and
this is presenting some sort of scorched earth policy.

If this is really how you feel, then:

1. What would constitute a legitimate QSO on that band that should be used for
evidence?  Is exchanging grid squares really a meaningful exchange?  That is
what goes on during most band openings.  Should it be a ragchew?  If so, how
long should it have to be?

2. How far would a legitimate QSO have to be distancewise to make it justifying
our amateur allocation?  Many wireless internet setups are very line of site,
probably shorter than what the grid circlers use?  Does that warrant taking
away those allocations also?  Many cell phone calls are done at very short
distances.  Are those legitimate uses of the spectrum?

3. Does giving cell phone companies additional frequencies, so teen age girls
can text (probably while driving) to each other about who's boyfriend is cuter
really justify the spectrum any more than contest QSOs do?

73s John AA5JG