Re: [VHFcontesting] (VHF Contesting) - how about we get back to having f

To: VHF Contesting Reflector <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] (VHF Contesting) - how about we get back to having fun?
From: Zack Widup <w9sz.zack@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Jan 2010 10:47:37 -0600
In the USA there are maybe 7 contest weekends (Jan VHF SS, June and Sept VHF
QSO Parties, CQWW VHF, August UHF, the August and Sept 10 GHz weekends).
That's 14 days out of 365. It's going to take an awful lot more activity
than contest weekends to justify use of the bands.

I hate to see good equipment going to waste. Why aren't these grid circling
Rovers out there EVERY WEEKEND at least, making some QSO's? They're
certainly capable of it. That would be more like it - 104 out of 365
days. Maybe we ALL should be doing this.

I make frequent trips to my favorite hilltop outside of contests, at least
every MAD Saturday and often during the week when the tropo forecast or
rain/snow scatter possibility looks good. If nothing else, I enjoy listening
for the K3SIW beacons north of me. I can often hear them up through 3456
MHz.
Use the equipment you have every chance you get, not just in contests.

73, Zack W9SZ