[VHFcontesting] Microwave comprimise idea.

To: <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] Microwave comprimise idea.
From: frank bechdoldt <k3uhf@hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 3 Jan 2010 12:50:31 -0800
For the most part I agree with N1LF.

We have had the spectrum for decades and the majority in numbers of contacts on
these bands have came from people working each other in situations where they
can almost  see the whites of each other's eyes.

It's not about the rules of the contest, they are what they are and they will
never be fixed in a way we all think they are fair.  My issue is when the ARRL
takes the logs of short distance contacts that could be made with 10 dollar
wal-mart radios and tries to fool the American people that they are of value to
the nation as a whole.  That is just plain wrong.  If examined closely (say in
the non ham  press)  the cries to defend otherwise unused spectrum just because
its there is just plain selfish. If we continue down the road with this
attitude then we won't be breaking up rag chews to pass emergency traffic
because we will just say go use your cell phone.

N1LF's idea makes sense for amateurs as a whole.  Most hams can't afford the
microwave stuff.  Mainstream manufactures will barely touch 222 or 1.3 ghz,
they ignore 900 mhz and forget about anything above 1.3 being made for the
average ham.  This is just to say that the market is not there above 1.3 GHZ. I
would hope they reserve a mhz on each microwave band for the contesters to
continue contesting.

However corporations do want it and if we could cut a deal to get something out
of the FCC then we should.  I won't mind telling the congressmen on that
committee how the vast majority of the contacts the ARRL uses to justify
spectrum are used.  I have the web sites printed out and descriptions of how
the contacts are made across the arbitrary grid intersections all written up so
any layman can understand it.  I don't mind sending this stuff out to the
corporations too.  Either way, its way I'm sure the ARRL is proud of this type
of activity and won't mind it fully explained to the competition. Right now the
competition is targeting the extra TV spectrum.

Actually we have a ham congressman in this state.  I should take the time to
explain this to him and suggest N1LF's idea as a way to work a trade through
congress that will protect our lower spectrum and give us antenna rights in
exchange for losing all but a mhz on all the bands above 1.3 or 2.3 ghz.  I see
it as a chance for us in the vhf and above world to do something for all hams
no matter what band they are on.  When did we become such snobs anyway?  In any
event I'm sure any action is years away.

frank